Do you have a plan?
If you answered no, then you might consider creating a Holiday Mission Statement to get yourself started. This mission statement can be your guide for the holidays and keep you focused on what’s really important to you during this season.
The first step to creating a Holiday Mission Statement is to start asking questions. Talk with your spouse to answer the following:
- What is our budget?
- What do we want to teach our children this season?
- Are there some new experiences we want to share with our children?
- Is there anything we want to do different this year?
Now you are ready to bring the family together and have a family meeting. Some more questions could include:
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What do you remember from last year? What was your favorite memory?
- What are you most looking forward to? What are you dreading?
- What was your favorite way/thing to give to others?
You may be amazed at the things your children remember and want to do again this year. From here you have can make a mission statement. Just a simple sentence will do. This will keep you focused on the traditions that are the most meaningful to your family.
Here’s an example of one of our mission statements.
The Tokos Family Thanksgiving Mission Statement is to have great food and focus on being thankful.
Pretty simple, but it says a lot.
From here I asked my family to define great food. Are we making the traditional fare or making something different? Thankfully, they mostly insisted on the pumpkin pie.
Focus on being thankful. How? The kids wanted to make a thankful tree. We do this every year and it consists of tree branches and construction paper leaves. We write on each leaf something we are thankful for this year.