Sometimes in all the hustle and bustle of family life, we forget to make time for what is really important. Here are a few ideas on how to simplify and get back some time for your family.
- Have the family help with the chores. If you have all hands on deck the work will get done much faster. For example, have the whole family clean up after dinner. There can be sweepers, table-washers, leftover-packers, and dishwasher-loaders. What used to take one person 30 minutes can get done in less than 10 minutes. It also teaches kids much needed life skills.
- Take care of any incoming papers right when they come into the house. For instance, when one of your kids bring home a permission slip for a field trip, fill it out and put it back in their backpack for them to take back to school the next day. Also, the best place to open mail is next to the recycle bin…hint,hint.
- Set time limits for time-wasting activities. I am always amazed at how long I am on the computer. Set time limits for e-mails and social media. Maybe you can check e-mail just twice a day, or go on Facebook just once a day. Figure out what works best for you.
- Turn the TV and Computer off. This is an awesome way to free up time. Or another idea is to multitask while you’re watching TV. Folding clothes and exercising are two easy things to do while the TV is on.
- Learn to say no. It is good to volunteer your time, but choose to help out with just one thing at a time. Many people, especially women, like to help and they have a hard time saying no. Helping others is commendable, but do not lose sight of your priorities. You still need to take care of yourself ( spirit, mind and body) and you also have a family that needs you to be available for them.
What kinds of things are stealing your time. Can anything be simplified or even eliminated? What kinds of things have you done to simplify your schedule?