It’s the middle of October and you’re still having trouble getting your kids out the door in the morning. Here are a few tips that may make the morning run a little smoother.
- Make a morning to-do list. You can post it in the kids’ bathroom for quick reference in the morning. Let me tell you, it is much easier to say, “Time to take care of everything on the list” than to say all the things they need to do each morning. It also is easier for the kids to remember one thing (the list) versus all the things they need to do.
- Have the kids prepare as much as possible the evening before. Making lunches and packing the backpacks will take a few things off their morning to-do list.
- Use a timer. This is helpful to keep the little kids focused, especially the slo-o-o-ow eaters. Let them have a reasonable time to eat and then set the timer for two minutes or one minute (whatever works best for you) for the child to finish up. The timer also works well when a child starts his to-do list.
- Give yourself time. If you are hurried in the morning and tend to run late, then you should consider getting up 10 minutes earlier. It is a small amount of time, but it can make a huge difference.
- Have the kids be responsible for themselves and their stuff. Your morning will go much smoother if you don’t take on their responsibilities. Consider it a teaching/learning opportunity.